Zambia Festival of Action
A three week festival where participants plant trees, grow food forests, build using eco-methods, brighten up schools with eco murals, etc
Dates: 25 June to 16 July 2017
Weeks 1 and 2 are specifically for high school students. In Week 3 we welcome participants of all ages.
Group Size: as many as possible!
Take me to Zambia! Greenpop, an award-winning social enterprise working in Southern Africa, has opened applications for their 6th annual Zambia Festival of Action from 25 June - 16 July 2017. The Zambia Festival of Action is an environmental action summit that brings people together from around the world to actively engage with sustainability and have fun while doing it.
Misha Teasdale, Greenpop’s Tree-E-O, invites active citizens of all ages to join Greenpop for a week (or two or three) of environmental learning, cultural adventure and fun:
“This festival offers a great chance to roll up your sleeves, challenge your mind with the latest green ideas, get elbow deep in Zambia’s red soil planting trees with participants from around the world and local community members from Zambia. Enjoy music jams by the campfire and watch movies under the stars. Join us for this world-changing experience and make lifelong friends!”
The Zambia Festival of Action
The 2017 Zambia Festival of Action is a three week festival where participants plant trees, grow food forests, build using eco-methods, set up recycling systems, brighten up schools with eco murals, attend sustainability workshops, celebrate with live music and more. It’s an adventure for active citizens who want to change their world.
Inspired individuals can apply to join for one, two or three weeks from 25 June - 16 July 2017. Weeks 1 and 2 are specifically for high school students. In week 3 Greenpop welcomes participants of all ages and backgrounds who want to get active for the environment and have fun at the same time.
Weeks 1 and 2 are specifically for high school students. In Week 3 we welcome participants of all ages. We’ve hosted university students interested in environmental topics, professionals keen to take a holiday with a difference, study groups doing field work, families who love adventure and individuals from all walks of life who want to get active for the environment and have fun at the same time.
Learn more about the Zambia Festival of Action: Zambia Festival of Action.
Who is Greenpop?
Greenpop is an award winning social enterprise on a mission to (re)connect people with the planet. They plant trees through urban greening and reforestation projects, spread environmental education, and activate people through green workshops and events.
Greenpop was founded in 2010 and has since planted over 70 000 indigenous and fruit trees at schools and other urban sites, community farms as well as forests across South Africa, Zambia and Tanzania. More than the number of trees, Greenpop is inspired by the thousands of hands that have helped to plant the trees and the further thousands that have joined Greenpop’s eco-education programmes and made a commitment to be custodians of our beautiful planet.
Zambia has one of the highest deforestation rates in the world. The country has seen rampant deforestation, mainly as a result of bad land management, slash and burn farming methods, unsustainable logging, and tree cutting for charcoal. According to the UN-REDD programme, Zambia has approximately 50 million hectares of forest, with an estimated deforestation rate of 250,000 to 300,000 hectares per year. The Greenpop Zambia Festival of Action is hosted annually in Livingstone as part of our ongoing environmental project there. We aim to contribute to the area and be part of the solution in Zambia - sharing and learning in a place that highlights some of the challenges that our planet faces as a whole.
Benefits for You
Get Active for Life:
At the Zambia Festival of Action you’ll learn valuable life lessons and skills to carry with you into the future. These will not only be applicable to the local Zambian context, but can also be taken back home with you and applied throughout your life.
Get Active Together:
At Greenpop, we believe that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and we place significant value on collaboration, co-operation, and connection. The Zambia Festival of Action brings people together from around the world; South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, USA, UK, Germany, India, Japan, Canada and Australia to name a few! In Livingstone, we work closely with local partner organisations and schools to ensure that our project is context specific and sustainable. You’ll immerse yourself in Zambian culture, increase your eco-awareness alongside local participants, get active, and celebrate together with changemakers from all over the world.
- Join us for one week: ZAR 5 390 (or ZMW 3 900 for Zambian residents)
- Join us for two weeks: ZAR 9 950 (or ZMW 7 250 for Zambian residents)
- Join us for three weeks: ZAR 13 950 (or ZMW 9 980 for Zambian residents)
Visitors to Africa:
- Join us for one week: USD 655
- Join us for two weeks: USD 1 220
- Join us for three weeks: USD 1 695
Included in Programme Fees
- Three meals a day and snacks in between
- Coffee and tea
- Tented accommodation at our lodge
- Transfer on arrival and departure day to/from Livingstone International Airport or Livingstone museum
- Workshops & Activations hosted by field experts
NOT Included in Programme Fees
- Additional drinks and snacks
- Transport from your hometown to Livingstone and back
- Travel and medical insurance
- Costs for visa and vaccinations
- Fees for additional excursions
Trees for Fees
Greenpop also provides a fun alternative way for people to ‘pay’ for their placement: Trees for Fees, a fundraising initiative whereby attendees get their friends and family to sponsor funds for trees in exchange for their programme fees at the Zambia Festival of Action. Get more information Trees for Fees.
Begin your adventure with these simple steps:
1. Apply - Fill in this online form to apply (indicate which week(s) you’re applying for in the form).
2. Confirm - We will review your application and might call you for a short phone interview. Once you have been accepted, pay your deposit (or raise your first 8 trees if you are doing Trees for Fees) to secure your place.
3. Fundraise - If you chose Trees for Fees, we’ll send you a guide with tips for effective fundraising and you can harness your creativity to reach your goal.
4. Engage - We will send you a detailed information guide after your placement has been confirmed. Read and re-read to get prepared for your adventure.
5. Get Active - Pack your bags, you’re about to change your world!
There are no extra accommodation options for this Experience. Please contact us for accommodation options before and after your trip
There are no optional activities features for this Experience. Please contact us if you would like us to enquire further
|Departure Dates||Status||Price (PP Sharing) Excluding Flights||Single Supplement||Child||Notes|