Birding in the Southern African Bush
This course has been designed to broaden and enrich your knowledge and skills by educating you about the fascinating world of birds.
Dates: In Makulele (South Africa): 18 Feb - 6 March 2017
In Mashatu (Botswana): 14-20 Nov 2017
In Selati (South Africa): 17-23 March, 16-22 April, 12-18 Oct, 5-11 Dec 2017
Please note that there is one 14 day course from 12th to 25th June 2017 in Mashatu, Botswana. Enquire here.
Please note a 23% discount is available for South African residents on the 7 Day Experience
Group Size: Min 4 / Max 20
You don’t have to be a ‘twitcher’ to attend. The course is catering to those who wish to learn the basics of bird identification or improve their existing identification skills.
Birding as a hobby has risen tremendously in the last decade and these days, visitors to the African wilderness areas want to do more than simply spot the large game. Due to this development on the ecotourism front, we have developed our Birding in the Bush (7 days) course to get these birding enthusiasts on their way to the wilderness camps in Makuleke, Karongwe and Mashatu. This course has been designed to broaden and enrich your knowledge and skills by educating you about the fascinating world of birds.
You will be based in camps in prime wildlife areas 24/7 and partake in wilderness walks or game drives twice daily. Depending on the course you enrol on, you will be trained on up to two different game reserves, exposing you to a diversity of habitats and species. No other training provider can match this variety of training environments or frequency of practical activities we offer to our students.
Why we chose this Provider
- We have been in the business of training guides since 1993 when we were established as the first formal field guide training organisation in Africa. We thus live up to our reputation as the pioneer and leader in our field.
- A company owned and managed by a person with a passion for wilderness. Anton Lategan has spent most of his life visiting and living in wilderness areas. He believes passionately in the need for students to come away from their time with us with an amazing, exciting learning adventure together with a better understanding of the way wilderness areas work.
- A company solely dedicated to training. We do nothing else, so we stay focused on making sure that our training programmes are of the highest standards.
- Instructors who have been around for a long time. We select our instructors based on the number of years of experience that they have had in the guiding industry. We are proud of our specialist trainers that are well known throughout the industry.
- Number of students on each course limited to a total maximum of 20, with a maximum of 10 students for each instructor. This ensures that the students get personal attention at all times.
- We offer quality over quantity. Sometimes a training provider offers many qualifications which look good on paper, but the time available does not allow for thorough training that is sufficient to pass the FGASA exams.
- Courses in great wilderness areas collectively covering more than 100 000 hectares, including one of the greatest national parks in the world, the Kruger National Park. Students are immersed in these great wilderness areas from the moment they step into camp giving them an intimate, experiential experience that can be life-changing. Our camps are unfenced and mostly canvas, so students are in touch with the wilderness all the time.
- We play an important role in community training throughout Africa ensuring that local people living on the borders of our national parks and game reserves gain access to training which will ultimately provide them with job opportunities. Our community training includes countries such as Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, Gabon, Kenya and Swaziland.
- We have conducted training programmes for top tourism operators and various privately-owned game lodges in southern Africa and our programmes are held in high regard by these organisations.
- The partners and trainers have trained thousands of people over the years in a number of countries – from rural tribesmen in the Gabonese forest in the Congo Basin of West Africa to royalty from Europe.
There are no extra accommodation options for this Experience. Please contact us for accommodation options before and after your trip
There are no optional activities features for this Experience. Please contact us if you would like us to enquire further
|Departure Dates||Status||Price (PP Sharing) Excluding Flights||Single Supplement||Child||Notes|